Post-Ebola Hardship Affects School Enrollment

first_imgWhat is termed as Ebola economic hardship is said to be affecting the enrollment of several private schools in and around Ganta, Nimba County.The proprietor of Savinna Giant Steps nursery school,   Rannie Sackie, speaking to the Daily Observer in Ganta, recently said due to the hardship caused by Ebola most of the parents could not afford to send their children to school.He explained that before Ebola, his school used to be very crowded with pupils, especially toddlers, but many parents cannot afford tuition this time because of economic hardship.“As we speak, most of the children who attended our school last year can be seen around street corners selling water and most of them are even in the community not going to school,” he observed.“We are strategically located in an area where you cannot find any public school around so it is an opportunity for under-aged children who cannot go far from their community,” he noted.Sackie noted: “Despite the dropping of students, the school is providing all necessary educational needs so as to become second to none in Ganta in molding the minds of our children.”Rev. Roosevelt G. Suah, principal of St. Emmanuel’s Lutheran School in Ganta narrated, “Even though we have students, yet they cannot be compared to last year and this is owing to hardship complaints we are getting from parents.”Many other schools, including the NAWOP in Ganta, Solid Foundation as well as schools in Saclepea have not been to receive many students.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More →

Overseas-based Guyanese remanded for narco-possession

first_imgOverseas-based Guyanese Mark Joyce, currently vacationing at Lot 47 Cane Grove, East Coast Demerara (ECD), was on Friday morning arraigned before Georgetown Magistrate Judy Latchman, charged with narcotics possession.He is alleged to have been intercepted by Police at the Stabroek Market area on January 4, 2018, where he was found in possession of 36 grams of cannabis for the purpose of trafficking.He denied the allegation brought against him, and his attorney told the Court that on the day of his arrest, Joyce was an occupant of motorcar PTT 7759, which had two other occupants. All three were arrested, but Joyce was the only one charged with the offence.Police Prosecutor Gordon Mansfield told the Court that even though the accused was in the car with the other occupants, the narcotic was found in his seat.As such, he was remanded to prison until January 19.last_img read more

Read More →

Carjacking ‘mastermind’ released on $1M bail

first_imgAs the carjacking probe deepens, ex-policeman Jason Harry was on Tuesday again brought before city Magistrate Judy Latchman, this time to answer five additional charges of allegedly receiving stolen cars.These fresh charges come three weeks after Harry had allegedly been found with suspected stolen vehicles and parts in his possession.Accused carjacking mastermind: Ex-policeman Jason HarryA resident of Monument Hill, at Kuru, Kururu on the Linden/Soesdyke Highway, Harry was granted $200,000 bail on each allegation of feloniously or unlawfully obtaining five Toyota motorcars.When he appeared at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts, Harry denied multiple allegations detailing that between August 2017 and February 2018, at Georgetown, he committed the fraudulent acts. Police, however, allege that Harry stole Elizabeth Martin’s $2 million Fielder motorcar, HC 6999; Delon Skelky’s Spacio, PVV 9742, valued $2.5 million; Saravety Narine’s Allion, PNN 1871, worth $1.7 million; Samuel Monroe’s Spacio, PMM 7517, worth $2.9 million; and Treshel Powers’ Allion motorcar, PVV 6791, valued at $2.3 million.Police Prosecutor Arvin Moore objected to Harry being placed on bail, articulating a fear that Harry, if granted bail, could tamper with another accused who is yet to be found. This objection was, however, overruled.However, Harry, a 26-year-old father of one, who is being represented in these matters by Attorney Dexter Todd, will remain in custody, since he is currently remanded on a robbery charge.Harry’s cases regarding the carjacking matters are slated for recall at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts on April 12.Earlier this month, he was apprehended at Monument Hill, Kuru Kururu when “A” Division ranks swooped down on a property and discovered vehicle parts. Harry, who proclaims himself a taxi service owner, had on February 16 denied that, while being armed and in the company of others, he had robbed Phillip King of his Toyota Premio motor car valued at $3.2 million, along with other items.Police have disclosed that Harry, when placed on an identification parade after being apprehended, was positively identified by King. Thus Police suspect that their former colleague is part of the carjacking ring. Several persons have so far being charged in connection with these matters.Shawn Archibald and Timothy Waldron have also been accused of carrying out a series of carjackings.Police ranks from the Major Crimes Investigation Unit had swooped down on a premises at North Vryheid’s Lust, East Coast Demerara and found several car mirrors with engraved licence plate numbers; doors, lights, wipers and other vehicle parts for Toyota Allion, Spacio and Premio motor cars. Those premises were occupied by a 29-year-old taxi driver and his 25-year-old wife.Only last Monday, the father-and-son duo of Nigel and Ricky Chung, both welders, were arraigned in court on accusations of welding on false chassis numbers to a Spacio and an Allion motorcar.last_img read more

Read More →

Funding for youth businesses inadequate – Youth Director

first_imgDirector of Youth Melissa CarmichaelThe Director of Youth, Melissa Carmichael, said the Youth Department has taken note of the current unavailability of funds to develop youth businesses and will be looking to implement an entrepreneurial framework to better help them kick-start their businesses.Carmichael made this statement during a recent press conference where she said, “The Department of Youth recognises again that issue. Coming out of a conference I attended sometime in 2018, I would have come back and spoke to a couple of recommendations and one of them is to look at the implementation of an entrepreneurial framework which will speak to all the regulatory framework regarding financing and young people”.Young people in the past have complained about the Government’s unbothered attitude towards adequately financing their businesses, as other lending agencies such as banks require a large number of paperwork before they issue funding.In fact, the recent disclosure that just about 40 per cent of Guyanese youths are unemployed has raised even more concerns as to what the Government has done or is doing to remedy the disturbing situation.According to the Department of Youth, the agency has been trying hard to finance some business ideas and projects through the Youth Innovation Programme Of Guyana (YIPOG).According to her, “The Department of Youth has on board a Youth Innovation Programme which has been given $70 million this year, $70 (million) last year and $50 million in the year before to look at development for young people, their proposals and so on and the reason this was brought on board is because we recognise that there aren’t the necessary frameworks with regards to the financing (or) easy access to the banks and so on”.“We will continue to advocate where we can at our Minister’s level and at other levels for a framework to be put in place to have young people be able to access those lending agencies as well as the registering companies and so on easily,” she added.Although seeking to implement a need “framework” at the behest of youths, the Youth Department is yet to fully implement the National Youth Policy which was approved in the National Assembly since 2016, to outline the vision of the Government for the youths of the country.The National Youth Policy is premised on improving the social, emotional and cultural skills of young people, producing a productive and enterprising youth workforce, developing quality education and market-oriented skills, encouraging leadership, participation and representation and promoting good health, security and safety.The policy caters for development of a National Youth Empowerment Action Plan which will include comprehensive and strategic programmes and projects being implemented.It also identifies the vision and the five key objectives that are further sub-divided into several priority areas for youth development. It further suggests policy imperatives that should be implemented in each of these identified priority areas.Last July, former President of the Georgetown Chamber of Commerce and Industry (GCCI), Deodat Indar, called for better provisions to be put in place for persons wishing to expand or develop local businesses.According to Indar, in most cases, persons wishing to develop a business are left with no other option but “to borrow: we (may) have some savings, some family member lends us some money, or pool the money into it, or we go to the bank for a loan.”He stressed that when persons go to the bank for a loan, there is a collateral requirement which, in many instances, serves as an impediment.“When we go to the bank for a loan, regardless of which institution in Guyana, there is some form of collateral requirement which is the impediment. It is a grave impediment that makes small business (unable to) grow, and we have to address that. We have to approach the appraisal system of banks (to determine) if it needs modification so that small businesses can get money,” Indar noted.He expressed dissatisfaction that when businesses, especially small businesses, are allotted money, they are often pressured to repay those loans instantly, thereby stifling their chance at economic growth.last_img read more

Read More →

No slow gear for young tech tycoons

first_img“Otherwise,” he asked rhetorically, “what have I learned?” During his PayPal days, Levchin was so committed to seeing the company succeed that he often sacked out at the office in a sleeping bag he kept under his desk. Considering that he described his apartment during some of this time as “scary,” that had a certain logic. Cardboard boxes served as his living room furniture; a discarded computer desk was his dining room table. These days, despite the phenomenal success of PayPal, which gave him the bulk of a fortune worth around $100 million, Levchin continues to work an average of 15 to 18 hours a day. “We occasionally go out to eat, he sleeps a few hours, he works out,” Minkova said. “But other than that, Max works.” Minkova half-joked that she might appreciate her occasional evenings out with Levchin more, if only he were not on his BlackBerry, answering e-mail messages and checking his Web site. One friend, Dennis Fong, who sold a company to MTV Networks last year for $102 million (and is already at work on a new startup), talks about the “weird growling sound” that Levchin tends to make when someone even mentions the name of his chief rival, RockYou. And so committed is Levchin to seeing Slide.com succeed that he keeps a blood-pressure monitor on his desk. “I don’t know what I would do if I couldn’t start companies,” he said. “I’d probably think about slitting my wrists.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Levchin, who is now 32, is typical of a new generation of junior titans in Silicon Valley who might be called the prematurely rich – techies worth tens of millions of dollars, sometimes more, at an age when many others are just starting to figure out what to do with their lives. The Internet, a low-overhead medium with a global reach, has greatly accelerated the wealth creation phenomenon, producing a larger breed of multimillionaires even younger and richer than in the past. They are happy to be wealthy, of course, but many of these baby-faced technology tycoons often seem indifferent to the buying power of their money, at least at this stage of their lives. Instead, nearly all of them have chosen to throw themselves back into a startup, not so much because they want a spectacular new home or a personal jet – though many of them do – but because they are in a competition with themselves and one another. “For most of us, doing it again means surpassing what we’ve done previously,” said Peter A. Thiel, Levchin’s partner at PayPal, who also has started a new business, a hedge fund called Clarium Capital. “And that can be a really high bar.” Even among this jittery group of overachievers, Levchin stands out. In part that is because outdoing PayPal may be an all-but-impossible goal. Levchin acknowledges that he has already earned more money than he could ever spend. But he said he would not consider Slide.com, the photo and video sharing site he founded in 2005 that is still in its startup phase, a success unless it is ultimately worth, in real dollars, “at least $1.54 billion” – the price eBay paid for PayPal. SAN FRANCISCO – Max Levchin is not easily distracted from his work. A few years ago, Levchin, one of the young princes of Silicon Valley, bought his first home, a 12-room Edwardian high atop a hill here, for $3.4 million. But Levchin, who made a fortune at age 27 selling PayPal, the online payment service he helped start in 1998, never moved in. He sold it two years later without having slept there for even one night. Since then, Levchin has moved into his second home, a more expensive one found for him by Nellie Minkova, his girlfriend of eight years who has become his fiancee. But so consumed is he by work on his second company, an Internet startup focused on sharing photos and videos, that the cartons that contain what Levchin described as “85 percent of my worldly possessions” are still stacked in his living room, five months after moving day. last_img read more

Read More →

Arsenal striker Lucas Perez completes move to West Ham

first_img Lucas Perez have moved from Arsenal to London rivals West Ham 1 Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? pic.twitter.com/Wl0Ul9VifT— West Ham United (@WestHamUtd) August 9, 2018Director of Football Mario Husillos revealed new manager Manuel Pellegrini was keen to bring the frontman to the London Stadium having been impressed by him during his time managing in Spanish football.“We welcome Lucas to West Ham United,” he said. “He is a very experienced player that Manuel and I both know well from Spain.“He has great technical quality, and can play as both the main striker or the second striker in a deeper role. He scores goals, but can also create them and link well with the midfielders.“His style is different from the other strikers we have available to us, and that gives the manager more options for our attacking play.“Lucas also has experience of the Premier League with Arsenal, and is familiar with life here in London, which of course means that he will take less time to adapt and be ready.“From the very first meeting I had with Lucas, he made it very clear that he wanted to come to West Ham United and, for us, this is very important. We wish him every success during his time here.” The 29-year-old, who spent last season on loan at former club Deportivo La Coruna, has penned a three-year deal with the Hammers.He moves across London to become West Ham’s eighth signing of the summer transfer window.“I’m very happy to be here at such an historic club,” the striker said on West Ham’s official website.“I’m very excited, as West Ham are giving me the chance to stay in the Premier League and I’m very happy to be part of this new project.“I’m very motivated.”West Ham announced the signing with another video on social media… West Ham have completed the deadline day signing of Arsenal striker Lucas Perez, in a reported £4million deal.last_img read more

Read More →

DONEGAL COFFEE MORNING PROMISES TO BE A ‘LAW’ UNTO ITSELF!

first_imgA coffee morning in aid of the Donegal Hospice will take place in Gibson and Associates in Letterkenny tomorrow morning.The well known solicitors firm, which is located at LK House on the Port Road, has issued an open invitation to all members of the public to join them.The coffee morning takes place from 10am until noon. Good coffee (and tea), craic, plenty of chat and perhaps even a biscuit or treat or two will be on offer for a very worthy cause.Telephone 074 9168888 or email info@gibsonandassociates.ie for any further details. DONEGAL COFFEE MORNING PROMISES TO BE A ‘LAW’ UNTO ITSELF! was last modified: September 17th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:coffee morningdonegalGibson and Associateslast_img read more

Read More →

Travel Alert: Oil spill outside Lifford

first_imgMotorists are being advised take care following an oil spill outside Lifford.The spill occurred on the Rossgeir – St Johnston road after midday.Donegal county council has been notified. AA roadwatch is warning motorists to drive with extra caution in the area.Travel Alert: Oil spill outside Lifford was last modified: December 14th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More →

NCS Playoffs: St. Bernard’s rallies to beat Del Norte in Division IV thriller

first_imgCRESCENT CITY >> Jack Rice scored two rushing touchdowns and defensive back Raequan Washington sealed the deal with a pick-6 late in the fourth quarter, as the St. Bernard’s Crusaders scored 20 unanswered points in the second half to come away with a 26-15 victory over the Del Norte Warriors Friday evening in Crescent City.“Hat’s off to Del Norte, they had a great game plan against us,” St. Bernard’s head coach Matt Tomlin said after the game.Long before the opening kickoff it was clear that …last_img read more

Read More →

St. Bernard’s girls shut out University

first_imgAlly Del Grande pitched a one-hitter, Mackenzie Finck hit a grand slam, and the Crusaders coasted to a 8-0 North Coast Section Division-V opening round playoff win over University High on Wednesday. “Our pitching was great today, I thought we played well,” St. Bernard’s head coach Alan Borges said. “It feels good to get a playoff win, and our first non-conference win of the season.”With the win, the No. 8 seed Crusaders (9-15) will now play at No. 1 Cloverdale on Friday at 5 p.m.Del Grande, …last_img read more

Read More →