Jean Dominique case

first_img Violence against the press in Haiti: RSF and CPJ write to Minister of Justice April 17, 2002 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Jean Dominique case Organisation RSF and Damocles also called on Aristide, as head of the Fanmi Lavalas party, to ensure that the senate’s overwhelming Lavalas majority voted to lift the parliamentary immunity of Sen. Dany Toussaint (photo AP), the leading suspect in the case. “Once again, it is not a matter of the senate deciding whether the senator is guilty or not, but simply to allow justice to take its course,” they said. The two organisations stressed that not lifting his immunity would prevent publication of the formal order ending the inquiry stage of the case and thus oblige the judge to remain officially in charge of it “at the risk of his life.” Finally, Ménard and Getti called for an end to obstruction of the investigation by police failure to execute arrest warrants issued against witnesses and suspects. They urged the arrest of Richard “Cha Cha” Salomon, regarded as Toussaint’s right-hand man, and Franck Joseph, the senator’s bodyguard, who have both refused so far to appear before the judge. Judge Gassant’s mandate was renewed on 1 April by President Aristide four months after it expired on 3 January and two days before the second anniversary of the 3 April 2000 murder of Dominique (photo RSF), who was head of Radio Haiti Inter. The next day, a presidential spokesman announced the case would again be assigned to Gassant. HaïtiAmericas Receive email alerts Follow the news on Haïti News HaïtiAmericas Help by sharing this information June 11, 2019 Find out more to go furthercenter_img News News RSF_en November 14, 2019 Find out more Journalist shot dead amid anti-government protests in Haiti News Reporters Without Borders and the Damocles Network call on President Jean-Bertrand Aristide to give assurances to Judge Claudy Gassant and hope he will resume work on the Dominique case. Reporters Without Borders (RSF) and the Damocles Network today welcomed the reappointment of Claudy Gassant as investigating judge in the Jean Dominique murder case but warned that it would be futile if he was obliged to work under the same conditions as before. The two organisations called on the authorities to give the judge guarantees. “Reassigning him the case but with the same problems of personal security and obstruction by the senate and the police is not only pointless but would put his life in danger again,” RSF secretary-general Robert Ménard and Damocles vice-president Jean-Pierre Getti said in a letter to Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide (photo AP). The two organisations also wrote to Judge Gassant (photo HPN) saying they hoped he would agree to take up the case again. “The courage and independence you showed during the 16 months you conducted the investigation, in the face of threats and obstacles, is proof for us that you will tackle the case diligently,” they said, adding that he could once again count on their unfailing” support and efforts to help. Ménard and Getti said however that if Gassant “regrettably” decided not to take the case, he would still enjoy their “total support.” The judge’s decision was a “supremely personal one that should be respected by all,” they said, noting the “obvious risks such a sensitive investigation still entailed.” The case was “extremely important for Haitian society,” they added and hoped that if the judge decided not to resume work on it he would explain why. It was important that the case was not put aside and they hoped the judge would make his decision within a “reasonable” time. In their letter to President Aristide, the two organisations said they were waiting for Gassant to be given guarantees on four points. First, that the authorities respect the rules for assigning the case “so that later procedural errors cannot be used against the judge.” Second, that he be given enough funds for his security and to conduct the investigation. “Failure to do this when the case is so very delicate would effectively block the enquiry and once again put the judge’s life in danger,” they said. Another journalist murdered in Haiti October 11, 2019 Find out more RSF and the Damocles Network call on President Jean-Bertrand Aristide to give assurances to Judge Claudy Gassant and hope he will resume work on the Dominique case.last_img read more

Read More →

Trinidad and Tobago Takes Measures to Fight Potential Threat of Terrorism

first_img Diálogo: In your opinion, why are countries not reacting as fast to counter what the terrorists are doing, especially when it comes to the use of social media? But now the country confronts a new threat: the possible growth of terrorism within its borders. To understand why this could be a major concern for the country, Diálogo spoke with Brigadier General Rodney Smart, Chief of Defense Staff Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force, during the XIV Caribbean Nations Security Conference (CANSEC) in Kingston, Jamaica, held in January. Brig. Gen. Smart: In TTO, we have several youth programs, some of them are run by the military, and through those programs, we hope to influence the minds of young people and show them there are better alternatives to those which are presented by groups such as ISIS. I will also say to you that we are becoming more vigilant in terms of social media and the effects and the mechanisms through which persons on the other side are using social media. Those are two immediate things I can tell you that are happening. Youths are speaking to youths. I am seeing youths go on the television and discouraging other youths. Having been empowered enough to feel that this – what is being presented to them – is not a good alternative. Diálogo: What do you expect from Admiral Kurt Tidd, U.S. Southern Command’s new Commander? Brig. Gen. Smart: He has huge shoes to fill because [U.S. Marine Corps] General [John F.] Kelly (former SOUTHCOM commander) was exceptional, a very good friend to the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force; he was a supporter. However, I just came out of a bilateral meeting with Adm. Tidd, and I am convinced we have a very willing and able partner as well in him. I look forward with great enthusiasm to engage with him as well as General [Clarence K.K.] Chinn [U.S. Army South Commander]. What has happened is that there is a new engagement at the Army Soldier level in the Trinidad and Tobago Army, the Regiment. There is a new engagement that was enabled by the United States Chief Military Liaison Officer, Colonel Claudia Carrizales. She has enabled that relationship between Army South and the Trinidad and Tobago Regiment. So I am saying, at the strategic level – SOUTHCOM level – I can see continued engagement, and I can see continued development between these two organizations. But even at a level below, Gen. Chinn already has begun making sure that there is a relationship that is in place. In a nutshell, I can see the relationship growing even stronger, if that is possible. Good articles on world events.They are in depth and give lots of information on what is happening in the world… Brigadier General Rodney Smart: It’s possible. As far back as 1990, we have had an attempt by a Muslim organization to overthrow the elected government of the country. So that always remains in our head. But more recently, you may have heard about a video that was circulated on the Internet where there were Trinidadians who had gone to fight with ISIS. They used to bring the message to try to recruit young people from Trinidad and Tobago [TTO]. From that perspective, we have concerns that TTO remains one of the countries where recruiting is taking place. TTO is one of the countries where people have gone to Syria to fight, as well as to return. We do have concerns in our country with regard to the potential of terrorism. And hear the word I used: potential. I believe it will not happen, but we have concerns, and therefore, we have put strategies in place. Diálogo: Do you think your Defence Force is having to focus more and more on what’s called the new threats, like the Armed Forces in other countries, such as Colombia? Diálogo: Speaking specifically about illicit trafficking, a few years ago TTO had to establish a curfew because of the violence that was rising, especially among young males. What’s the current situation in the country? Brig. Gen. Smart: Because this is not a normal mechanism of a country to communicate to its youth; so countries don’t have programs set up, established programs that communicate nationally to youths. However, because they – the terrorist perpetrators – recognize that this is a mechanism through which youths communicate, they are using this space. Now, the established countries will eventually catch up, but because this is not the normal way of communicating, they are using the conventional approaches. I think we reached a point where countries have recognized they have to now use social media to communicate with youths. Diálogo: A lot was said about the possible growth in terrorism in the Caribbean during CANSEC 2016. Somehow, Trinidad and Tobago was referenced more times than other countries. Is it because it has the largest Muslim population in this region? Brig. Gen. Smart: Having established a curfew is what we call a State of Emergency to deal with the crime situation at any given moment. And it worked. The level of violence went down, especially homicides. What we have recognized is that this is something you have to be continuously putting resources after. You have to be continuously looking at the internal databases. And very recently, the Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago (Keith Rowley) – recognizing that there has been a spike (in violence) at the start of 2016 – has asked the Military to work with the police in a more definitive manner so that this spike he has observed will not prevail, and that the persons who are perpetrating the violence in the society will be brought to justice. Brig. Gen. Smart: Yes. Trinidad is not unique. In other countries in the Commonwealth you will see a similar model. If you go back to Britain, Britain has always used its forces both internally and externally. The chances of you seeing U.S. Troops being used in American cities are very rare. It is just a different model. Brig. Gen. Smart: I would say to you that Armed Forces in the Caribbean missions have always been different than Armed Forces in most developed countries. For example, the United States Armed Forces or Regular Forces, its purpose is really external to the United States, governed by posse comitatus for example. But there are Military capabilities that are available to states through the National Guard, but small countries are unable to have a standing military as well as a National Guard. The capabilities of small states have always been used not just for security but also for developmental purposes. In small nations, the Military model is different than the developed countries. But, I will also say to you, for example, the United Kingdom has a history of using its Troops internally for things such as flood relief. Disaster response is not new to a Military like the United Kingdom’s. The model is dependent on one’s situation. Diálogo: You mentioned the United Kingdom because Trinidad and Tobago is part of the Commonwealth, correct? Things have been going so well for so many years in Trinidad and Tobago that locals repeat the mantra “God is a Trini.” During the good times, earnings from natural gas and oil exports made this Caribbean nation one of the richest countries in the Western Hemisphere. However, the recent collapse in world oil prices has caused the country to more difficult times. By Dialogo February 24, 2016 Diálogo: During your presentation at CANSEC 2016 you said that one way of countering this would be to send positive messages, especially to the youth. What is your country doing to accomplish that? last_img read more

Read More →

Alex Ferguson ‘showing signs of recovery’ after haemorrhage

first_img— SPORF (@Sporf) May 6, 2018“The whole football world is incredible but outside of that as well, from all corners of the globe and different walks of life, people have shown their support,” he told MUTV.“That’s the effect he had on people. It was the effect he had on everyone. He means a lot to me, as he does to this club.“We were all praying for him and thinking of him, Cathy and the family. It’s a tough time for everyone but I’m thinking positive and hoping he will pull through.”– Giggs tribute –Wales manager Ryan Giggs, who was part of all of Ferguson’s 13 Premier League title-winning teams after being given his debut as a 17-year-old in 1991, told the BBC: “I know the operation has been a success — but he is a fighter and that is what makes me think he will be able to make a recovery.“Now is the time to pray and hope he can make a full recovery. He has been the biggest influence in my career, both on and off the pitch.”Share on: WhatsApp Pages: 1 2 ARCHIVE PHOTO: Alex FergusonLondon, United Kingdom | AFP | Former Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson was sitting up and talking to his family, reports said Tuesday, as he recovers from emergency surgery following a brain haemorrhage.The 76-year-old, who suffered the haemorrhage on Saturday, remains in intensive care and there has been no official update on his condition from the Premier League club.But Britain’s Mail Online said the Scot, who retired in 2013, was out of a coma and showing promising early signs of recovery.“Surgery went very well and the 76-year-old’s response to treatment has given encouragement and cautious optimism to those close to him,” the report said.“However, they recognise it will still be a slow road to full recovery as he continues to be assessed.”“The prognosis is good and his closest friends in football are being kept abreast of any developments,” a source told The Sun newspaper.One of the greatest managers in football history, Ferguson won 38 trophies in more than 26 years in charge of United, including 13 Premier League titles and the Champions League twice.Support has flooded in from the football world and from those outside the game and United midfielder Michael Carrick said that the response shows the esteem in which his former boss is held.CLASS: @ManCity fans with a message for former @ManUtd manager Sir Alex Ferguson. ?Football united. ? pic.twitter.com/r3ZjGIzVPnlast_img read more

Read More →

Girls Golf Rocks attracts hundreds of new players

first_img Girls Golf Rocks has been hailed as a huge success after inspiring over 500 girls in nine counties to enjoy a taste of the game. “There’s been a tremendous response,” said Lauren Spray, England Golf’s Women and Girls’ Participation Manager. “Over 430 of the girls who attended taster sessions have gone on to take structured coaching courses. “We’ve also involved more than 100 girls from county squads who have acted as ambassadors to inspire the next generation of girl golfers.” The Girls Golf Rocks project is run jointly by England Golf and the Golf Foundation, working with the county associations and sports partnerships in Cheshire, Buckinghamshire, Dorset, Durham, Essex, Gloucestershire, Hampshire, Norfolk and Nottinghamshire. Currently, figures show that only 1% of golf club members are girls, with an average of just two per club. Girls Golf Rocks aims to change that by attracting beginners to have fun, learn a new sport, get active and play alongside friends, with the encouragement of the young ambassadors (Top image © Leaderboard Photography). Each county offered free taster sessions at local clubs, followed by structured coaching programmes provided by PGA professionals and the finale of a fun par three competition for new young golfers and their ambassador mentors. It started as a pilot in Essex last year and was so successful that it was rolled out to the other eight counties this spring. The Essex project gained national recognition this year when it received the Golf Foundation’s Laddie Lucas award for creating opportunities for girls, with strong links to clubs. The results from Girls Golf Rocks coincide with the Women and Family Golf Months, run by England Golf in June and July to highlight Get into golf opportunities across the country. The Get into golf campaign inspires people to take up golf and play more often. It is supported by Sky Sports and aims to bring 500,000 new or lapsed golfers into the sport in the UK by 2018.Visit www.getintogolf.org to find an activity near you. Pictured below: Players at the Girls Golf Rocks par three competition in Gloucestershire. 29 Jun 2016 Girls Golf Rocks attracts hundreds of new players last_img read more

Read More →

Lily May takes on the men and shines

first_img2 Mar 2017 Lily May takes on the men and shines England 14-year-old Lily May Humphreys declared her intentions for the 2017 season with a remarkable third place finish in a men’s professional event in Spain. The honours in the Evolve Tour’s 54-hole tournament went to Miguel Angel Martin, a three-time winner on the European Tour who blitzed away from the field with a score of 13-under. But Humphreys, who shot level par, could have been second were it not for a triple bogey eight at the 14th in her first round. As it was, she had rounds of 71, 73 72 and finished just a shot behind Spain’s David Borda. Humphreys, from Channels in Essex, played in the event just after joining the England Golf girls’ squad for warm weather training at Quinta do Lago in Portugal. She’s following up on a remarkable year in 2016. Humphreys, from Channels in Essex, enjoyed a long list of successes, including wins in the Fairhaven Trophies, the English U16 girls’ championship, the North of England U16 championship and the Liphook Scratch Cup, where she became the youngest-ever player to take the trophy. She was also third in the European Young Masters. Image © Stills Photographylast_img read more

Read More →

Former England manager reveals bizarre phone conversation where he convinced Roman Abramovic to buy…

first_imgAdvertisement p803e0NBA Finals | Brooklyn VsxpmyxWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E3zpmh( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 93ukWould you ever consider trying this?😱m3zCan your students do this? 🌚pd9Roller skating! Powered by Firework Former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson revealed the secret why Roman Abramovic chose to buy Chelsea instead of Spurs. At first, Roman Abramovic wanted to buy a club in Moscow. The team of Roman Abramovic shortlisted three clubs. According to Sven-Goran Eriksson, the facilities of Dinamo was better than other two clubs. So, the former English manager told Roman to buy that club.Advertisement However, Roman’s decision changed very quickly. At that time, Sven-Goran Eriksson was in a holiday. The right hand man of Roman Abramovic called him to inform about that. The new decision of Roman was to buy a club in London. The right hand person of Roman Abramovic placed two choices in front of Sven-Goran Eriksson – Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur.Advertisement The reply of Sven-Goran Eriksson might help Roman to take the decision of buying Chelsea. Sven-Goran Eriksson asked what was the purpose of buying the new club. The answer was to win more trophies. So, Sven-Goran Eriksson told Roman to opt for Chelsea as he had to change the half of the team there while in Tottenham Hotspur, he might have to change the whole team. This phone call might have played a big part in history of Chelsea.Van Persie admits Arsenal didn’t want him anymore before the United transfer took placeAdvertisement Advertisementlast_img read more

Read More →