Storm Callum: Council Crisis Management Team meeting underway

first_imgHomepage BannerNews Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic DL Debate – 24/05/21 WhatsApp Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Harps come back to win in Waterford WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Facebook By News Highland – October 11, 2018 Twitter Donegal County Council’s Crisis Management Team is meeting this morning to prepare for all eventualities relating to Storm Callum.With very high astronomical Spring Tides forecasted for this period and with surge levels in coastal areas predicted to increase in the coming days, Donegal County Council is urging the public to take extra care when outdoors during this weather event.Extreme care should be taken overnight and during the morning work and school commute on Friday particularly in coastal areas and on higher ground owing to high winds. All motorists should drive with extreme care, allow extra time for journeys and watch out for fallen branches and debris on roads. There is also a risk of fallen trees.Homeowners, property owners and businesses should take precautions to secure any loose items of furniture, hoardings, scaffolding, signage and items such as trampolines and bins, which would be vulnerable to strong winds.The Council is also asking property owners and occupiers of properties in areas susceptible to coastal flooding to be prepared and to take the necessary precautions.Donegal County Council’s Crisis Management Team is meeting this morning to finalise necessary arrangements and will continue to monitor the situation. The council will provide further updates on Facebook and on Twitter @DonegalCouncil #StormCallum.The Council can be contacted during normal business hours on 074 91 53900 and in the event of an out of hours emergency the Council’s Road Service can be contacted on 074 91 72288. Irish Water can be contacted on 1850 278 278. For emergencies requiring the assistance of the Fire Service call 999.You can sign up for free weather alerts to your phone by registering at www.mapalerter.com/donegal.center_img Storm Callum: Council Crisis Management Team meeting underway Google+ Pinterest Twitter Google+ Previous articleGAA Programme – Glenfin & Aodh Rua lock horns for Intermediate titleNext articleBlaney seeks all documents on sewage plant plans News Highland News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Facebook Pinterest Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODAlast_img read more

Read More →

Suspect in sergeant’s slaying now charged in killing of federal officer in Oakland: Officials

first_imgSanta Cruz County Sheriff’s Office(SANTA CRUZ, Calif.) — BY: EMILY SHAPIRO and LUKE BARRSteven Carrillo, the man suspected of killing a Santa Cruz, California, sheriff’s sergeant this month, has now been charged in the May slaying of a federal officer in Oakland, authorities announced Tuesday.Authorities had said earlier they were investigating possible links between the two shootings.Carrillo, a 32-year-old active duty Air Force sergeant, was first arrested for allegedly gunning down Santa Cruz Sheriff’s Sgt. Damon Gutzwiller in Ben Lomond, California, on June 6.Gutzwiller, a 38-year-old husband and father, had been responding to a call about a suspicious van and saw someone with guns and bomb-making devices, sheriff’s officials said.The van driver fled, and when deputies tried to follow, they were ambushed with gunfire and multiple improvised explosives, officials said. Gutziller was killed and another officer was injured.Carrillo allegedly carjacked residents at gunpoint before he was captured, sheriff’s officials said.On Tuesday, David Anderson, U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of California, announced that Carrillo is accused of killing Patrick Underwood about one week before Gutzwiller was killed.On the night of May 29, Underwood, a 53-year-old federal law enforcement officer, was shot dead while providing security at a federal building in Oakland, near a Black Lives Matter protest. A second officer was shot and survived.The FBI launched a manhunt and released photos of the van they believed the shooter was driving. Authorities said Tuesday they believe the same van was used in the Oakland and Ben Lomond shootings.Carrillo allegedly shot Underwood while his alleged accomplice, Robert Justus Jr., 30, drove the van, Anderson said.FBI Special Agent in Charge of the San Francisco field office, John Bennett, said Tuesday, “We believe Carrillo and Justus chosen this date because the planned protest in Oakland provided an opportunity for them to target multiple law enforcement personnel.”“They came to Oakland to kill cops,” he said.Oakland interim police chief Susan Manheimer said over 500 officers were on the ground in the city.Authorities also claim Carrillo used “his own blood” to write phrases associated with the Boogaloo movement on a car he allegedly carjacked.“The ‘Boogaloo’ term is used by extremists to reference a violent uprising or impeding war in the United States,” Anderson said.Carrillo is charged with murder and attempted murder while Justus, who was arrested June 11, is charged with aiding and abetting, prosecutors said. Carrillo also faces state charges in the Gutzwiller case.Justus made his initial appearance Monday and is due to return to court Friday. Carrillo has not entered a plea for the state charges and has not yet appeared in federal court.Last week, while the search for Underwood’s killer was ongoing, Underwood’s sister, Angela Underwood Jacobs, testified at the House Judiciary Committee hearing on police reform.“Patrick was a good man who only wanted to help others and keep his community safe,” she testified.“I want to ensure the memory of my brother, Patrick, is a catalyst against injustice, intolerance and violence of any kind,” she said. “Please do not let my brother Patrick’s name go in vain.” Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Read More →

A photo? Shock! Horror!

first_imgGet this. The German elite are up in arms over the Frankfurter Allgemeine’s latest “redesign”. If you can call it that.The leading national paper, always a serious and erudite title, has decided that now, in additional to the striking red box (dimensions 3cm x 3cm) on the far left column, it should lead with a (tiny) photo – yes, a photo – on the front page. A photo?!A media expert here in Frankfurt tells me that, two weeks after the relaunch, the intelligentsia aren’t too chuffed. Pictures, they cry, should be saved for big stories – like skyscrapers being destroyed or Berlin Walls coming down. But a photo of a rock star? And he’s not even got a Nobel Prize? Outrageous.The explanation, I’m told, is that 90% of the FAZ’s readers are subscribers, who are attracted not by on-the-spot hooks but by respectability over a long period of time. Compare this with Bild, their answer to The Sun, which offers no subscription and has to grip its readers with the cover if it wants to make any money.The UK broadsheets, on the other hand, are somewhere in between the two extremes, while our tabloids are more like Bild.And all this on the day that The Times leads with a photo of Tom Cruise and the Daily Telegraph runs a cute badger. UPDATE: It appears Harry de Quetteville’s Telegraph blog from Berlin had the same thing to say. Unfortunately he got there a couple of weeks before me. Oh well, speed’s not all.last_img read more

Read More →

Oxlove to sell stash

first_imgThe Facebook crushes page ‘Oxlove’ is preparing to launch a line of merchandise.The admins of Oxlove, who also administrate the confessions page ‘Oxfess’, are intending to release hoodies and t-shirts in the near future.“The hoodie will have an Oxlove logo with an optional slogan of ‘send me an Oxlove’” the administrator told Cherwell. “We might run a competition to come up with some nice texts.”Oxlove and Oxfess are staples of the online Oxford community. They both receive between 150 and 200 submissions per day and have a post reach of between 100,000 and 200,000 views per week.Oxlove claims this is more than Versa and the Oxford Student combined.The Administrator, who would like to remain anonymous, was optimistic about sales prospects: “The people we chatted to about this thought it was a great idea. It’d just be great to wear ironically.”One first year chemist was less enthusiastic about the idea: “It’s unnecessary. And also a waste of resources.“Oxlove is a trend that’ll soon be forgotten. I wouldn’t buy any.”A candidate for the Oxford Union Standing Committee, Maxim Parr-Reid, mentioned that he “owns Hassan’s stash” under the manifesto heading of “dedication.”He told Cherwell: “I’d say in relation to Oxlove stash, that more stash can only be a good thing – spread the love.”A first year Magdalen student, Nick Brown, who reportedly has 22 oxloves to date, told Cherwell:“Stash is cool and all that but it only works when it’s good stash – I can never wear my Union stash around college, for example.“If I were a blue I would wear my stash every day but I’m just not sure Oxlove stash would be worth it, especially since everybody thinks I wrote my own Oxloves.“It would just be embarrassing to be honest.”A Corpus Christi fresher, George Taylor, told Cherwell: “The Oxlove stash excites me because it shows my appreciation for an Oxford institution, and connects me to it.“Knowing which people enjoy the page, evidenced with them wearing the stash, should make it easier for them to connect via the page, which is after all the point of Oxlove.”Oxlove will join other staple Oxford institutions such as Ahmed’s and Hassan’s Kebab Vans in selling hoodies.last_img read more

Read More →

Bagelman switches strategy on stores

first_imgBagelman, the Brighton-based bagel chain, has put plans to franchise on hold as it instead looks to expand its portfolio of company-owned stores.As first reported by M&C Allegra Foodservice, the company changed strategy due to company-owned stores offering greater flexibility to innovate.Owner Anthony Prior said he would like to see two new stores open in 2016 with a third on the way, with possible sites including Chichester and Eastbourne. However, no sites have yet been confirmed.He also said the company’s Ship Street store might move elsewhere in Brighton as the lease comes up for renewal.He said: “We are very dense in that particular part of the city, so we want to reduce that density.”Expansion will be chiefly funded through a crowdfunding initiative to be launched in February. It will be run through crowdfunding website Crowd2Fund and is expected to aim for a target of £160,000. Prior said the exact figure will be confirmed when new financial director Anna Prestwich, whose previous finance experience includes Starbucks, takes up her post at the beginning of February.Bagelman is a bagel-focused food-to-go chain, running five-stores in Brighton and Hove. The company bakes its own bagels in a bakery behind its Bond Street branch and is due to celebrate its 20th anniversary this summer.last_img read more

Read More →

Bruno Fernandes ánnoyed’over failed bid

first_imgBruno Fernandes is “annoyed” at the conduct of both Sporting Lisbon and Manchester United as talks have stalled over his potential move to Old Trafford, according to  reports. Bruno Fernandes SunSport yesterday revealed that the move has broken down over both sides being unwilling to budge on their respective valuations of the player. The Red Devils have offered £42.5million upfront plus £8.5million in add-ons, but Sporting continue to insist on receiving the 25-year-old’s £68million release clausein full.Advertisement Promoted Content6 Ridiculous Health Myths That Are Actually TrueThe Best Cars Of All TimeBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeIs This 1921 Cartoon The First Ever Meme?10 Risky Jobs Some Women DoWho’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time?6 Incredibly Strange Facts About Hurricanes10 Phones That Can Work For Weeks Without RechargingTop 7 Best Car Manufacturers Of All TimeThis Guy Photoshopped Himself Into Celeb Pics And It’s HystericalThe 10 Best Secondary Education Systems In The World8 Things That Will Happen If An Asteroid Hits Earth And according to the Times, the player himself is fuming at the hold up and wants to complete his move to United as soon as possible. Read Also:Bruno Fernandes transfer becomes a dream Fernandes expected last Friday’s match against Benfica to be his last for Sporting, hoping that his move would be sealed over the weekend. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 center_img Loading… last_img read more

Read More →

Middle School CC Meet At Greensburg

first_imgMany of our area Middle School Cross Country Teams participated at The Greensburg Invitational.Greensburg MS CC (8-25)Greensburg Invitational MS CCGirls Team Results:  Columbus Northside 32, Greensburg 71, Sunman-Dearborn 94, Shelbyville 156, South Dearborn 158, Batesville 162, Doe Creek 193, Jac-Cen-Del 195, Eastern Hancock 196, Jennings County 215, North Decatur 294, Connersville 370, South Decatur 381, and Greendale 389.Boys Team Results:  Columbus Northside 49, Doe Creek 55, Greensburg 80Batesville 115, Jennings County 137, Jac-Cen-Del 143, Sunman-Dearborn 193, Connersville 212, Shelbyville 216, Greendale 274, Eastern Hancock 303, Southwestern 309, South Dearborn 312, and North Decatur 368.Courtesy of Eagles Coach Steve Narwold and Bulldogs Coach Derek Suits.last_img read more

Read More →