Your Energy Rebate Regulation Change Will Help Small Business

first_imgSmall oil distributors will get cash flow relief after government changes that allow weekly tax reimbursements. Jamie Muir, Minister of Service Nova Scotia and Municipal Relations, announced today, Dec. 18, that the Your Energy Rebate regulations have been changed to allow for quicker claims by energy vendors. The original rules permitted only monthly claims, which caused cash flow difficulties for smaller businesses. “Our government is listening to the concerns brought forward by these hard-working small-business people who are helping deliver savings at home for Nova Scotians with the Your Energy Rebate program,” said Mr. Muir. “This change will allow greater flexibility to these operators.” Your Energy Rebate, part of the 2006-07 budget that was passed unanimously by the legislature in July, provides a tax rebate to households, equivalent to the eight per cent provincial portion of the Harmonized Sales Tax on energy bills. It took effect for household oil-heat customers on Dec. 1, and will take effect for household electricity or natural gas customers Jan. 1, 2007. Information on the program is available at any Access Nova Scotia centre, by calling toll-free 1-800-670-4357 or online at www.yourenergyrebate.ns.ca.last_img read more

Read More →

Nigeria Ban strongly condemns Boko Haram attacks targeting Muslims and Christians

“The Secretary-General takes note of [Nigerian] President Muhammadu Buhari’s determination to root out this menace, and commends the countries of the Lake Chad Basin Commission and Benin for their steadfast efforts in the fight against Boko Haram,” according to a statement issued this evening by Mr. Ban’s spokesperson in New York. News agencies report that extremist violence against both Muslims and Christians left dozens of people dead in Nigeria’s northern town of Zaria earlier today. This follows nearly a week of deadly Boko Haram-led attacks in the region, including over the weekend, described in the media as bombings and indiscriminate shooting into crowds of civilians. In his statement, Mr. Ban extended his heartfelt condolences to the families of the victims. “The Secretary-General renews his calls to support the operationalization of the Multi-National Joint Task Force (MNJTF) through the provision of the requisite political, logistical, and financial resources and necessary expertise, consistent with international humanitarian, human rights and refugee law,” the statement concluded. Earlier in the afternoon, Mohammed Ibn Chambas, Special Representative of the Secretary-General and Head of the UN Office for West Africa (UNOWA), briefed the Security Council on the situation in the region, including on the activities of Boko Haram. Since May, he said, Boko Haram had stepped up its attacks in the Lake Chad Basin area – not only in Nigeria, but also in Niger and Chad – mainly against civilian targets, although the structure and capacity of the group for conventional warfare had been largely destroyed through regional action supported by international partners, which he called commendable. He said that further vigilance and coordinated regional action against Boko Haram was needed, however, and more support from all partners remained crucial. Addressing the root causes of the insurgency was a requirement for lasting stability. In addition, a coordinated post-conflict strategy was required to help restore living conditions and allow the return of displaced persons. read more

Read More →

Court appearance for Wexford drug accused

first_imgA MAN IN his 50s, arrested on Friday in connection with a €700,000 cannabis seizure, will appear in court this morning.The man was one of two men arrested in the seizure of cannabis herb with an estimated street value of €700,000 (pending analysis) at Ballymurn, in Co Wexford.As part the investigation gardaí seized further quantities of Cannabis when they carried out a search operation yesterday. Cannabis herb and resin with an estimated street value of €300,000 (pending analysis) was discovered during a search of land near Enniscorthy.A second man, in his 30s, has been released without charge pending a file to the Director of Public Prosecutions.last_img read more

Read More →